Western Health has established the WH Low Risk Ethics Panel (LREP) to facilitate the review of Low Risk Research Projects. Low risk applies where the only foreseeable risk is discomfort and a prospective study comparing 'Standard of Care'. Projects involving the collection of tissue or genetic samples do not fall under the Low Risk criteria.
You will be issued a reference number after you have submitted your application.
Check the Submission Deadline and Meeting Dates and note that applications submitted after deadline will not be accepted.
Please note: A Western Health employee should be nominated as a contact person or an associate researcher in ALL projects undertaken at Western Health.
See LNR Process Map Overview
Please send all the required documents in the following format: A electronic copy via email to [email protected] and ONE hard copy (double sided) to:
By post/drop-off: Manager Office for Research Level 3 Western Health Centre for Health Research & Education – Sunshine Hospital, Furlong Road, St Albans VIC 3021
Drop-off/after hours: A drop off box is located in the Ground Level Staircase (right of the elevators) of the Western Health Centre for Health Research & Education Building, Sunshine Hospital, Furlong Road, St Albans VIC 3021. Please note that this box will be checked once a day.
Please ensure both hard copy and electronic copies are submitted before 4pm of submission deadline date. Late submissions will not be accepted.
Please note that your project will undergo preliminary review by the Office for Research after your initial submission. You may be given 1-2 days to revise or provide further documents, if a full submission has not been provided after the preliminary review deadline given, your project may not be reviewed at that month's meeting.
To submit a research application to the WH LREP, you will need to complete/provide the following documents for ethics and site approval:
1. Cover Letter – Ensure this letter is submitted with your application. Please make sure all sections are complete and attached documents clearly listed. If a cover letter is not provided, your project will be rejected at the next meeting. You do not have to use the template provided however, a brief summary of your project and clear listing of attached documents are required if you wish to provide your own cover letter.
2. HREA, application form can be generated from the https://www.ethicsform.org/au website.
3. Victorian Specific Module (see right hand side download link)
4. Detailed Project Proposal (include version number and date) – See the SPIRIT Checklist as a useful guide only (not all sections are applicable for Low Risk Projects)
5. Western Health Site Specific Form to be completed to clarify site specific requirements for resources and facilities required at Western Health to conduct your project . Statement of Approvals to be provided if departments impacted, see below for more information.
6. Statement of Approval Forms for any departments impacted/involved in your project
7. Curriculum Vitae using the Western Health CV template form for all Investigators/Researchers involved in the project. This is required if you are a new researcher or have not submitted a WH CV for more than 2 years for our files.
8. Any attachments related to study, for example (include version number and date on all documents):
9. Participant Information and Consent Form – if applicable, please use your WH LR PICF Template.
10. Wes tern Health Honorary Appointment Form – This form is intended for use where an external institution wishes to conduct research which requires access to Western Health patients and/or their associated data by way of an honorary researcher appointment. A police check may be required, please contact Supervisor or the Head of Department for cost centre details. See the following flowchart to determine whether this is required for you HRA F flowchart.
11. Research Agreement – if applicable
12. Payment - Application fees may be applicable, please see our fee schedule here.
13. Databank Registration Form – If you are creating or using a Databank/Database for possible future studies, you may need to complete a Databank Registration Form. Please see Appendix A: Guideline for Data Management in Research. Please contact the Office for research if unsure.