WH holds a publically advertised open access board event once every financial year.
The purpose of these events is to provide an opportunity for members of the community to learn more about key areas of focus for the Board and have an input into Board plans and decisions.
Our Open Access Board events are open to all members of the community and are advertised externally and within Western Health.
At a 2015 open access board forum consumers/community members said the following were important to providing a positive patient experience at Western Health (WH) by the year 2020. Half way through implementation of our Strategic Plan 2015-20, we asked consumers/community members to complete a survey on how well we are going against these areas in 2018. Surveys were accessed via direct email to members of our consumer register and members on our community advisory and primary care & population health committees, via a link on the WH Facebook page, via an advertisement in local papers to participate in open access activity, and via Volunteer engagement at their annual Appreciation Event. 216 surveys were completed, with responses represented in the graphs below as the average score out of 5 for each question (as a percentage).
The above feedback, as well as feedback from our staff, board and community partners has informed our following top 6 strategic imperatives for 2018 – 2020:
1. Updating our hospitals – finishing construction on our new women's & children's hospital, expanding the Sunshine Hospital emergency department, planning a new Footscray Hospital
2. Implementation of an electronic medical record
3. Redesigning patient flow to reduce waiting times and expanding integrated models of care
4. Continual review and improvement of our clinical practices to provide best care
5. Improving communication/partnerships between staff, patients & community providers
6. Building and supporting a skilled, positive workforce